We’re officially getting closer to finishing out this “arc” in Straw Man strips. I’m working towards and ending and then I’ll take a short break while I figure out how the next story will proceed. I’ve got a lot of ideas where I can take things from here so I want to make sure I take the best path before starting.
This week I experimented with a couple of things to arrive at the final strip. I have the hardest time of drawing something “ordinary” and giving it life. Unfortunately in everyday life there’s a lot of boring stuff out there. In the case of this image it’s the scene of a man crawling towards a wall. The wall itself doesn’t have anything special about it. So I’m left with the problem of adding drama to something that’s inherently bland. I’ve kept my eyes open to how other artists solve this problem and while it works for them I haven’t found a solution that works for me. Last weekend at Planet Comicon I had some free time so I started sketching the page. I had done a few 30 minute sketches that weekend and found them to be full of energy but inherently flawed images. I thought I should apply that same energy to my pencils and then reflect that in my inking. I feel like this approach is the only way I’ll ever come up with something that’s powerful and uniquely “David”.
With the color I chose what I thought were some pretty neon colors and was pretty happy with the overall look. Not my normal color pallet but I thought it would work for this round. Then I remembered Pixlr-o-matic’s website that gives any image an “instagram” treatment. I decided to run the strip through a few filters out of curiosity. I loved the results but thought they were a tad too bold so I took the original image and merged it with the new Pixlr image by adjusting the transparency of the original. I think the end result is very satisfying and may end up informing future work.